Sunday, July 18, 2010

Three Generations

My project will revolve around three dates: 1921, 1964 and 2004. These dates represent the birth years of my mother, myself and my daughter. My current interests revolve around the notion of family and domesticity as well as the role of women in the home. I wanted to choose a household object that is also used in business and other contexts, as points of contrast. I've chosen to investigate the telephone. I have not decided on the exact models as yet but I am thinking of the following:

For 1921 I have two in mind: the first represent the telephone my mother remembers (crank telephone with no rotary dial) and the second one, produced in 1921, also a manual telephone, made of Bakelite, but used in wealthier homes or business, will be my primary object.






For 1964, I am considering two as well: one that was installed in my childhood home, a Crosley 302 Wall Phone, a Henry Dreyfuss tribute, and/or the Wild & Wolf trimPhone, designed in 1964 by Martyn Rowlands:




And, finally, for 2004, I will use the RAZR, an extraordinarily popular phone first introduced in 2004. Motorola sold 110 million RAZRs during its 4-year run:














1 comment:

  1. The RAZR was my sister's first cellphone. I am looking forward to your impressions of domesticity and family. I like the idea of addresing those issues through contrasting an object that is used for both business and pleasure, and that until recently was fixed to a location. It will be interesting to contrast the landline with the mobile phone and how that mobility has brought changes to the way we conduct business as well as domestic tasks. The number of times I've overheard conversations in the grocery store that go like this "No, I haven't heard from her... yeah... where is the balsamic vinegar? ... no I didn't look in the international foods section... yeah I'm in the salad dressing aisle... Oh My God are you serious? Is she okay? I found it! ... where do think the dijon is?" boggles my mind. It seems to me that this splicing of conversations never used to happen before, it is a new development brought by the cell phone. Contrasting this with the crank phone where you asked the operator to put you through to the other person, and that this shift occurred during one lifetime (your mother's generation) is astounding!

    ReplyDelete