Saturday, July 17, 2010

Not fully hammered out yet...

I'm thinking about my project, and I feel it is too broad. I thought I'd throw some of the ideas up here to see what feedback I can gather over the weekend before Monday.

The main themes I want to look at are gendering of objects/spaces, sustainability and WTF we mean when we talk about "organic design." In my mind they all tie in together, but I'm thinking perhaps I should shift the focus to one over the others. Is anyone else thinking about these ideas?

Listening to ted talks with Ross Lovegrove, looking at Mackintosh's mirror, a chair by Martha Stewart and UB2 bonnets. Also looking at strawbale homes, FLW and old English Cob homes... perhaps a little too diverse a selection of things.

Any thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I've also been looking at fabric prints from Morris, and also a contemporary company called "Harmony Art."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally would like to hear about your exploration into organic design. I think it has potential both as an ideology and as an aesthetic movement, and at the same time it also hasn't been flogged to death like your other two subjects have. I'm sure your objects will provide plenty of steam for that topic as well, particularly Lovegrove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Khuyen. It looks like there are others who are going to be looking at those other ideas anyway. I think focusing on Organic will keep it simple, pure and fresh. (I hope someone gets the pun)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good --yes, narrow down by all means. Check out the cover of the Moma "Organic Design" catalogue. This could be profitably compared to all sorts of other exhibition catalogues or books. Have you done a library search for "organic" in the title and art as a subject? I bet you will find much rich stuff from the 70s....

    ReplyDelete