Monday, July 5, 2010

Jacqueline's Intro & Object


Hi there,

I'm Jacqueline. I am a Interdisciplinary student with lots of Photo and Art History! I have attended ECIAD, OCAD and now NSCAD! You might say I have an aversion to graduating; however, it looks like April 2011 will be it for me :-)

This is my first Design course and I am really looking forward to learning lots and exploring my own interests from this viewpoint.
My objects are laquered boxes created by Neri & Hu. Traditionally, the Chinese used such obects as lunch boxes. Neri & Hu are on a mission to re-design or convert traditional Chinese household objects without losing function and compromising on traditional techniques. I love the lines of these objects as well as the materials used to create them. I have a number of laquer objects in my home but all are antique. These modern creations are equally beautiful and in some ways appeal more. The lines are stunning!
My main interest this year is exploring the tensions between east and west, specifically Canada and China, and to look at the role/meaning of family in both cultures. Neri & Hu's interest in creating new designs from traditional household objects speaks to me and my particular interest. As well, I have a 6-year old Chinese daughter, whose lunch I need to make/pack five days a week. I'd much rather use these beautiful objects than her indestructible, plastic "Lightning McQueen" box!!
I look forward to meeting all of you!
Jacqueline


1 comment:

  1. They are lovely! I've recently become enamored with bento boxes and the design that goes into a packed bento lunch!

    ReplyDelete