Wednesday, July 7, 2010

introduction:Josh



Hello, my name is Josh Murray. I'm in my final semester. After this condensed course I will be moving to Toronto to try and break it out as a fine artist. I'm primarily a painter but I also do works in foundry as well as illustration. My works often deal with "retro" or "classic" cartoon figures. I use these templates of characters, due to there sanitized reference to the past, and this more "wholesome time" when you didn't have to lock your front door, or when anything you wanted at the corner store seemed to have only cost a nickel.

The samples that I've chosen to use for retro are two images. The first image is a classic introduction still from the Mickey Mouse cartoons. A character that was created in 1928 by Walt Disney. The character was first used in the cartoon called "Plane Crazy". The premise of the cartoon is that Mickey is trying to become an pilot. He and Minnie take an out of control ride on a plane in which Mickey tries to force himself upon her. After he tries to forcibly make Minnie a member of the mile hight club, she gets upset and jumps out of the plane. At this point Mickey crashes the plane.

The second images I've chose to use is that of Felix the cat. Not nearly as famously or well known as Mickey Mouse, Felix the cat is still a icon of early animation. He even predates Mickey. Felix was created in 1919 by Pat Sullivan. Much like Mickey Mouse Felix was placed in very fantastical situations. Often in these situations he is wooing a female character.
Often with these retro cartoons the figures are not trying to teach a moral message or teaching the viewer their ABC'S as cartoons do today, but rather they were geared towards adult viewers, in the hopes to entertain. The fantastical situations as well as the sex appeal of such characters as Betty Boop were used to lure the viewer in and keep them watching these nightly programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment